Glossary of Terms
|Authors:||Justin R. DiAngelo, Alexis Nagengast, Wilson Leung|
|Last Update:||Aug 16, 2019|
- Basic Local Alignment Search Tool is a tool for identifying sequence similarities
- Conservative Substitution Mutation
- A change of a nucleotide in a gene coding sequence that changes the amino acid encode to one with similar biochemical properties.
- In the context of bioinformatics, a collection of DNA or protein sequences that can be searched for information similar to a query sequence.
- A text-based format for representing either nucleotide sequences or amino acid (protein) sequences.
- A segment of a chromosome coding for a protein or RNA.
- Genes of similar sequences related by common evolutionary origin.
- A change of a nucleotide in a DNA sequence relative to an ancestral sequence. Types include point mutations, duplications, deletions.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) is a public database that houses molecular biology information including sequences from thousands of different species from mammals to fungi.
- Plus (+) Strand
- The top nucleotides that read left to right, 5’ to 3’ on a genome browser
- The NCBI Reference Sequence Database (RefSeq) is a comprehensive, curated database of non-redundant sequence records.