RECOMB Bioinformatics Education Satellite Conference

Discussions on upcoming conferences and meetings
wleung

RECOMB Bioinformatics Education Satellite Conference

Post by wleung » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:38 pm

May 22-23, 2010 Calit2 Auditorium, Atkinson Hall, UC San Diego

To: HHMI Professors and Program Directors

We wanted to let you know about the HHMI-supported the Second RECOMB Bioinformatics Education (RECOMB-BE) satellite conference at UCSD which will take place on May 22-23, 2010:

http://casb.ucsd.edu/bioed10/

We hope you can spread the word about the conference to both your colleagues and students, particularly undergraduate students interested in bioinformatics (RECOMB-BE has funds to support undergraduate and 1st year graduate students). We are particularly interested in attracting undergraduate students engaged in bioinformatics research in your lab.

RECOMB-BE will have a somewhat unusual format. In difference from most previous meetings on bioinformatics education that were focusing on the question “how bioinformatics should be taught”, we want to showcase how leading bioinformaticians ACTUALLY TEACH. Speakers will give short, introductory-level lectures, aimed at undergraduates. These lectures will be
complemented by discussion panels focusing on existing challenges in bioinformatics education and by the showcase of undergraduate research projects.

Pavel Pevzner,
Director, Interdisciplinary Bioinformatics Program at UCSD

Ron Shamir,
Head, Edmonds J. Safra Bioinformatics Program at Tel Aviv University

sparrish

RECOMB-BE meeting

Post by sparrish » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:56 am

Hi all,
I attended the RECOMB Bioinformatics Education meeting in 2009, along with my student Eric Lemmon. Eric received an HHMI student travel grant to attend the conference, which was extremely helpful.

I enjoyed the meeting and was happy to have the opportunity to be a co-author on a GEP poster (kindly made by Anya Goodman) and to have Eric present a poster on his annotation project.

One of the underlying themes of the meeting is how to best prepare students for entry into a graduate program in Bioinformatics. The message seemed to be that Biology needs to significantly increase its computational requirements, which I fully support. However, there are a lot of limitations and barriers that need to be overcome in order to achieve this goal, particularly at a primarily undergraduate institution. The meeting certainly provided me with a better understanding on how to best advise students who are thinking of graduate school in a Bioinformatics program.

I don't think I will be attending the meeting this year, mainly because there are other meetings I would like to attend and my travel budget is limited.

Hope this was helpful,
Susan Parrish
McDaniel College

I don't think I will be at