Prokaryotic Annotation Grant

Share your ideas on the alumni workshop here.
arosenwald

Prokaryotic Annotation Grant

Post by arosenwald » Tue May 26, 2009 11:11 am

Hi everyone

At last year's workshop when we were talking about partnering with JGI about prokaryotic annotation, I realized that I have another group just down the road from me - JCVI (TIGR that was). I took their prokaryotic annotation workshop last August, then started annotating a Salmonella genome with 7 juniors preparing for their senior thesis in Biology.

Based on this pilot, my JCVI collaborator - Ramana Madupu and I are planning a Type II CCLI for NSF in January. Sally and I had a talk about this awhile ago and seems like a good opportunity for us to expand GEP offerings. I also spoke with Gary Kulick and Kelly Reed at some length to get their thoughts. I'll be presenting our work thus far at the June meeting, but would love to get some feedback and ideas from everyone.

If anyone else is particularly interested in getting into prokaryotic annotation, let me know.

Anne Rosenwald
Georgetown University

cjones

Post by cjones » Fri May 29, 2009 11:15 pm

I'm certainly interested, Anne. In the spring I'm offering Molecular Genetics and could potentially spend some lab time on annotation of a chunk of simple genome -- how small a chunk can be done in the project you're thinking of? Another possibility at my institution would be to allow students -- particularly those who've had Genomics with me -- take on some part of a genome for an independent study project.
Chris Jones
Assoc. Prof. of Biology
Moravian College
Bethlehem PA

nkokan

Prokaryotic Annotation

Post by nkokan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:58 am

Anne,
I too am interested in prokaryotic annotation for a microbiology Lab class and a bioinormatics course taught in fall. I will interested in hearing more about the project.

Nighat
Nighat P Kokan, PhD
Associate Professor
Department of Natural Sciences
Cardinal Stritch University
Milwaukee, WI 53217

mspratt

prokaryotic annotation

Post by mspratt » Sun May 02, 2010 5:13 pm

I am also interested in the prokaryotic genome annotation potential. It would be terrific if we could expand into that realm. It would fit in well with Microbiology courses as well as other class projects and independent study opportunities.
Mary Spratt